My intention with this blog is to share my truths and to be open and honest with my thoughts and feelings...
I truly welcome your comments and feedback. I would ask you to be mindful of the fact that I am simply speaking from my heart and I would ask that people who choose to comment and join any discussions do the same.
My intent by sharing my story and reflections is to support others on their unique journey and to offer what I have learnt along the way.
I am more than happy to be challenged on anything that I might post but I would ask that you do it from a place of love as I will do with each of my blog posts....

All that leaves me to say, is that I am very much looking forward to connecting with you over the coming weeks and months.....

In love......

Saturday 5 February 2011

Whose fault is it anyway?!

When things start to feel out of our control, something I have felt, many many times over the years, it would seem to be easier to look for reasons outside of ourselves in order to find the answers we are seeking. 

It is no different when we are talking about depression. How much easier would it be if we could find someone or something or a situation to blame for how we are feeling? Much has been documented over the years about how depression  may well be gentic - passed on through generations, not just our immediate blood parents. I believe that in many cases there is truth in this. I certainly don't remember a time when I didn't feel the weight of despair dragging me down. I certainly believe that depression can be held in our very cells and even encoded in our DNA. 

I have two choices. I can either choose to blame genetics and even go so far as to blame my parents for suffering from depression or for being depressed when I was conceived and in the womb and remain in a victim mentality or I can choose to take responsibility.

No matter how you perceive your depression to have first taken over your life, the most important step in moving on and away from victim mentality, is to take full responsibility. Noone else can make you feel the way you do. How you feel in any given situation is up to you. This in itself can be quite challenging for people. The reason that it is challenging is that our intuitive selves know this to be true. And if this is true, then we can no longer look outside of ourselves to place the blame. We have full control over our emotions and how we choose to feel. 

When you have suffered from depression for any length of time, this is a really challenging concept to accept. I know. I still have moments when I get angry or frustrated. If I choose to stay in a state of anger then I am choosing to stay in a state of negative energy and depression. 

Instead, I choose to see depression as a gift. If I had not suffered, I would not be here writing this now from the depths of my heart wanting to share with you and support you through your own journeys.  I am here to bring light to myself and to encourage you to do the very same.

Therefore, I would ask you to take the time and share if you would care to do so, where you push responsibility onto the shoulders of others or situations that have caused you to feel depressed. Take some time to recognise when and how you do this. Give thanks for the lesson and let it go. Begin your journey by taking full responsibility for your own healing. If you can do this, then you have taken the biggest step of all......

With love and blessings.....
Nikola xx

No comments:

Post a Comment